Consider the art of story telling. I am not referring to reading a story with enthusiasm (though you should hear me read How the Grinch Stole Christmas, which my kids tell me is pretty awesome). I am referring to the art of the RACONTEUR.
Raconteur, which rhymes with cocklebur, is someone who is skilled at telling anecdotes. They become the stage for the story they are telling. The words, tones, inflections, expressions, gestures…all work together in a way that keeps you focused on them…yet you don’t see them, you see the story they are telling.
Garrison Keillor on NPR is a raconteur…you can’t even see him and yet he can pull you into whatever story he is telling. So if this sounds appealing to you then you must see the Unchained Tour coming to the Flying Monkey on January 12th at 8 p.m.
The Unchained performers are a group of storytellers traveling around the country in an old blue bird bus. Now, I love technology, (I really do!!) but there is something very special about live storytelling like this that simply can’t be downloaded. And there is no app for it. I think a good word for it would be enriching.
Here’s a peak at some of the talented individuals you’ll hear from next weekend:
- Annie Duke, a poker champion and the author of Annie Duke: How I Raised, Folded, Bluffed, Flirted, Cursed, and Won Millions at the World Series of Poker, among other books. Follow Annie on Twitter here.
- Tim Manley, a writer of fiction, drawer of comics, and a mentor with PEN American’s Writers In Prison Program
- Michaela Blei, a storyteller, writer, educator, and PhD candidate who coaches storytelling in the NYC- area and
- Peter Aguero, a multi-talented artist currently hosting The Moth, a series of storytelling nights in New York City
- Christopher Paul Stelling is the musician for the tour.
I have to warn you, the Unchained Tour sells out almost everywhere they go, so don’t wait to get the tickets! Buy them NOW by visiting the Unchained website here. This kind of storytelling doesn’t come around every day. Especially in a big ol’ blue bus.
Date: Saturday, January 12th
Location: Flying Monkey Arts Center
Tickets: Tickets available online at the Unchained website
Like The Unchained Tour on Facebook
Follow The Unchained Tour on Twitter