The Madison County Nature Trail on Green Mountain is an excellent place to take a stroll, have a picnic, and enjoy nature.
Now you can use the same trail to get a unique workout in too!
A Unique Workout
You will be using the guide below that incorporates many of the landmarks along the 1.5 mile long Main Trail loop.
Each exercise station will be performed for 30 seconds unless otherwise stated. Also, feel free to make it longer or shorter based on your fitness level. Each exercise station will be listed in the order you will find it on the trail.
Right when you enter there will be a selection of colorful, walking sticks to choose from if you do not have your own and would like one. Go down to the Main Trail that will start on your left.
Here are your stations:
1. At the waterfall (short walk into the trail) you will see some steps. Do step ups (or if you are feeling froggy, do jump ups).
2. Sprint across the short, inclined bridge.
3. Walking lunges across the covered bridge. For low impact, do one squat, take 2 steps to cross the bridge.
Side note- there are several hills throughout the trail. Take shorter, faster steps when going uphill.
4. At the top of the first hill, take a left on the School Trail. At the classroom do pushups on one of the benches. You can also hold a plank here as an alternative. Go back to the Main Trail and turn left.
5. There is a bench in front of the Log Cabin. Starting with one foot on the bench and one foot on the ground, jump from one side of the bench to the other, exchanging feet. For low impact, face the bench and tap your toes on top of the bench.
6. A little further down you will find a park bench with a clearing so you can see the lake. Stand in front of the bench, squat down until your butt taps the bench, and then stand up as fast as you can.
7. You will come to a bridge next. Turn sideways and shuffle 5 steps, then face the other way for 5 shuffles. Repeat this until the end, making sure to not cross your feet over or let them touch.
8. When you come to a tree that looks like a bent goal post leaning over the trail you will do jumps or calf raises for the allotted time.
9. The next landmark looks like a bus stop. This is where you will do bench burpees. Face the bench, squat down until your hands touch the bench, jump or step your feet back so you are in the pushup position (feel free to do a pushup while you are there), then jump or step back towards the bench, and then jump straight up.
10. When you see the sign, turn left to go to the chapel. Get to the chapel, do jumping jacks, preach a sermon, and go left to get back on the trail.
11. Finish by sprinting up the Y-shaped trail at the end.
Now you’ve turned the Madison County Nature Trail into the best workout ever. Enjoy.