This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for the huge (and ever growing) craft brewing industry here in Huntsville!
Selecting beer to serve at your Thanksgiving dinner can be tough, since this holiday blends subtle dishes with classics containing rich, complex flavors.
Therefore, I hope this list will help you select some local brews to share at your family table this year.
Helpful Beer Lingo you may need for this blog:
Growlers – this means the retailer has the beer on draft and will sell it to you in a “to go” container, in various sizes, ranging from 2-liters to 1-gallon. Most retailers will let you try the beer before filling a growler for you.
Bombers – 22oz glass bottles. Craft breweries use these for seasonal and specialty beers
Bottles – standard 12 oz beer bottle
6-packs – standard 12 oz cans
Turkey & Dressing
- Straight to Ale Redstone Oktoberfest (available in bombers at Liquor Express, Wish You Were Beer, Wagon Wheel Beverage, OTBX, and many other craft beer retailers)
- Old Black Bear Roaming Bear Porter (available in growlers at Liquor Express, OTBX, and other craft beer retailers)
Smoked Pork or Sausage
- Yellowhammer Rebellion Red Ale (available in growlers at Whole Foods Market, Star Market, Liquor Express, OTBX, Wish You Were Beer and other craft beer stores)
- Blue Pants American Amber and Pinstripe Stout variants (both are available in bottles at Liquor Express, Wish You Were Beer, OTBX, and many other craft beer retailers)
- Old Black Bear Cave City Lager (available in canned 6-packs at Whole Foods Market, Target, Liquor Express, and most places where craft beers are sold and you can find in on draft and in cans at Wish You Were Beer)
- Yellowhammer Lost Highway Schwartzbier (on draft at OTBX and in bombers at Wish You Were Beer)
- Rocket Republic Astronut Brown with sweet potato dishes as well as lighter sides like Mac & Cheese, hash brown casserole, etc. (available in growlers at Liquor Express, OTBX, Wish You Were Beer)
- Old Black Bear Roaming Bear Porter with roasted/grilled vegetables (available in growlers at Wish You Were Beer, Liquor Express, OTBX, and other craft beer retailers)
- Salty Nut HopNaughty IPA with Mac & Cheese (available in bombers at Wish You Were Beer, OTBX, Liquor Express and other craft beer retailers)
- Straight to Ale Monkeynaut IPA with cornbread stuffing and any spicy side dish (available in 6-packs at almost every grocery store and craft beer retailer!)
- Salty Nut Brewery Dahkness Stout (available in growlers at Wish You Were Beer, OTBX, Liquor Express)
- Mad Malts Vanilla Porter (in growlers at Wish You Were Beer)
- Blue Pants Imperial Stout (in growlers at Wagon Wheel Beverage and in bombers at OTBX, Wish You Were Beer)
- Mad Malts Harvest Yam Ale pairs well with pecan pie, pumpkin pie and Chocolate Covered Orange Slices (available in growlers at Wish You Were Beer, OTBX, and Whole Foods Market.)
- Rocket Republic Steam Punkin or Dark Matter Belgian Strong Dark Ale (both in growlers at Wagon Wheel Beverage)
Red Velvet or Chocolate Cake
- Straight to Ale Velvet Evil- instead of pairing this one, you can also just drink this beer and pretend it is red velvet cake, the taste is very similar! (available in bombers at Liquor Express, Wish You Were Beer, OTBX, and other craft beer retailers)
Remember, beer selection is constantly changing at these craft beer retailers, so please call ahead to make sure they still have the beer you are seeking! Most will also have shorter hours or be closed on Thanksgiving, so don’t wait until the last minute to complete your Thanksgiving menu with the perfect beers!
812 University Drive
Wish You Were Beer
7407 US Highway 72, Suite G
Wagon Wheel Liquor
6846 Highway 431 S
Owens Cross Roads, AL
Old Town Beer Exchange
301 Holmes Avenue
Huntsville, AL 35801