It’s that time of year again. The sun is warm and lots of outdoor events are happening in Downtown Huntsville.
And that’s when parking becomes a hot topic.
So hot in fact, it’s sure to spark discussion, advice and <expletive deleted> opinions.
Since we are heading into summer and more events than ever are on the calendar, here’s our best advice, hacks and real talk on the subject.
Do you know about this map?
It’s a great resource for parking in Downtown Huntsville.
Note that Lot K is now a Huntsville Hospital lot and it not available. The others are fair game!
TIP – Most parking is $5, so bring cash. Debit card parking, if available, can cost more. Cash is best.
If you don’t want to drive around and around waiting for that magic spot to open on the Square, hit the lot at the corner of Eustis Avenue (Southside Square) and Greene Street. It’s metered parking from 8 am – 5 pm, Monday – Friday, free after and on weekends.
You’re now less than a block from the Square.
OR, make the extra one block loop and park on Greene Street in metered parking. It is surprising how often these spots are empty, even on busy days.
TIP – Set your phone alarm to let you know when you need to add more quarters to a meter or for 30 minutes if you’re in half-hour parking.
The Von Braun Center can be super busy some weekends. Remember:
- Approach the VBC coming east down Clinton Avenue and check Lot V at the corner of Clinton and Pollard (old Meadow Gold lot). It’s often open and slow to fill up PLUS you don’t have to fight the Monroe Street traffic.
The VBC gets crazy on nights with multiple events. Do NOT try to get there from the Parkway exit at Clinton. Trust us.
- From South Parkway, exit at (or before!) Governors East. Then take Gallatin North, into Downtown.
- From Interstate 565, take exit 19A (Jefferson Steet/ Washington Street) and go south into Downtown.
Most people don’t know there is a secondary entrance on Church Street into the large parking garage that’s across the street from the VBC (Garage M on the map). This will keep you out of the Monroe Street traffic on busy nights.
Best places to park for big outdoor events:
Consider in advance WHERE the event is taking place. Do you want to be as close as possible or are you willing to walk a few blocks? Strategic thinking in advance is the key to most Downtown parking woes!
Places to try:
- Regions Bank Building – $2 a day (Bring quarters or you can’t leave! They ONLY take quarters.)
- Greene Street Lots E & U
- Clinton Avenue Garage
- The Depot (not during business hours)
- The Mental Health Lot (not during business hours)
Hack #4 – The Best One of All
As Downtown heats up, let’s all resolve to be calm and patient when it comes to parking in Downtown Huntsville. You will enjoy your Downtown event so much more when you’re prepared to park.