Do you know what this week is? If you’re in Huntsville, Alabama, it’s Armed Forces Week, an annual week of festivities hosted by the Chamber of Commerce Of Huntsville/Madison County and the Association of the U.S. Army honoring the brave men and women of our armed forces. So make sure you take a second this week to make certain they get the recognition they have truly earned.
Here at Our Valley Events, we want to make sure you don’t miss any of the Armed Forces Week fun, so below you’ll find all the events for Armed Forces Week 2013!
- Date: Monday, July 22nd from 6:30 – 8pm
- Location: VBC South Hall (Note location change)– bring your own chairs!
- Cost: FREE!
About: The Arts Council and City of Huntsville are proud to feature Redstone Arsenal’s own Army Materiel Command Bands as the headliner for Monday night’s Concerts in the Park. Due to the predicted inclement weather, this year’s concert has been moved indoors to the Von Braun Center South Hall. Since there is no seating in the South Hall, remember to bring your own chairs! The planned fireworks have been canceled due to the weather.
- Date: Tuesday, July 23rd from 7-9pm and Wednesday July 24th from 7-9pm
- Location: VBC Concert Hall
- Cost: FREE!
- Tickets: Tickets for the Redstone Community can be picked up at the MWR ticket office; Tickets for the general public can be picked up at the Huntsville/ Madison County Convention and Visitors Bureau. Tickets and seats are first come, first serve.
- UPDATE: All tickets to the U.S. Army Soldier Shows are gone, however the doors will be open 15 minutes before the show for non- ticket holders to fill in any available seats.
About: Ready and Resilient is a high-energy live musical production that showcases the talents of active duty soldiers selected by audition from throughout the Army. Soldiers first, they are artists who have a passion for music, dance and performing, with specialties ranging from information technology to combat medicine. The show is assembled and rehearsed five weeks for a four-month tour of military installations across the nation. (Photo and synopsis courtesy of the U.S. Army Installation Management Command Public Affairs Office)
- Date: Friday, July 26th from 8:30-10:30am
- Location: Redstone Links
- Address: 4140 Goss Rd 35809
About: Presented by the Association of the United States Army Redstone-Huntsville Chapter, this is a no handicap three flight tournament. The tournament is named the Iron Mike Tournament because the 27 Inch Trophy awarded to the winning team has the “Iron Mike” bust on top. The bust is a nationally recognized representation of an Army Soldier. The winning team is the one with the lowest gross score will have their names engraved on the trophy.
- Date: Friday, July 26th from 5:30 – 8pm
- Location: Metro Kiwanis Sportsplex
- Address: 3590 Patton Road 35805
- Cost: FREE!
About: Another Armed Forces Week tradition is the annual exhibition softball game where our elected officials face off with our armed forces on the softball field. There will be 2 softball games played on Friday. Both games are free and open to the public, and you are invited to bring your family and friends for a fantastic time!
Game 1 starts at 5:30pm
- Teams: Redstone Arsenal Leadership Team vs. Senior Rocket All Stars
- Includes Redstone Arsenal active duty military leaders
Game 2 starts at 7:00pm
- Teams: Huntsville/Madison County Leadership Team vs. Senior Recreation League All Stars
- Featuring elected officials from the City of Huntsville, City of Madison and Madison County
- The Senior All Stars teams feature many members of National Championship Teams
Huntsville Stars Game
- Date: Saturday, July 27 at 6:43 p.m.
- Location: Joe Davis Stadium
About: This Saturday night is AFW Military Appreciation Night at the Huntsville Stars! AUSA has tickets available at the One Stop Shop, Building 3443 on Redstone Arsenal for all Military ID and CAC Card Holders.
Armed Forces Week 2013: Free and discounted admission
During Armed Forces Week 2013, many local attractions are offering free or discounted admissions to active or retired military and their families. To learn more about the attraction, click on their name below to visit their website. [spacer size=”0″]
Here are the participating attractions: