Thank you to Beth Ridgeway with the Huntsville/Madison County Convention & Visitors Bureau for being our guest blogger this month!
What is HSV History Month?
History Month is a month-long celebration of our area’s history. From the Bicentennial and beyond to the Apollo 50 anniversary, the Huntsville / Madison County Convention & Visitors Bureau wants you to celebrate the past in the cities that are building the future.
Here are 5 things you need to do this October –
Scare up a good time
- Boos Cruise – Hop on the Rocket City Rover and learn about some of the ghost stories while holding on to a purple cup!
- Ghost Walks – The Ghost Walks are one of the best ways to explore different areas of downtown Huntsville. Meet in front of Harrison Brothers and make sure to take your camera (to try to catch a ghost on photo) and some cash for the tour.
- Trolley Tours – If you are up for walking, they also offer Trolley Tours where you can ride around and hear the tales of the otherworld beings.
Take a stroll –
- Volksmarch in Madison – See Madison’s 150-year history with a stroll along downtown and characters dressed in period clothing. It’s a 3.1 mile walk, so you’ll be sure to get your steps in that day!
Take Steps Back in Time
- Free Photowalk Tour of Historic Twickenham – The Huntsville / Madison County Convention & Visitors Bureau is offering a tour Thursday, October 17th, from 5 – 7pm to learn some history and snap some beautiful photos of the homes in the Historic Twickenham district. A professional photographer will be on hand to give you tips and tricks.
- Scene That Tours – A new tour company is now offering year-round tours and the ones in October are history based! Explore downtown, churches, and find out some of our connections to politics and presidents.
- Civil Rights Digital Tour – This new tour will be showcased with an event on October 28 with Sonnie Hereford speaking about being the first child to integrate into schools and a virtual tour of the Rocket City Civil Rights Tour.
Sip with Spirits-
We had several of our restaurant and brewery partners join in our celebrations with some new creative drinks of their own! Stop by and sip some history!
- Purveyor – Pipe Dream Cocktail
- Fractal Brewing – Project Paperclip
- Green Bus – Twickenham London Porter
- Yellowhammer – 1819 Belgin Double
- Straight to Ale – Pub Ale
- InnerSpace Brewing – Being Released on the 26th!
Get Hands-on History
- Apollo 50 at US Space and Rocket Center – We’re celebrating our Apollo 50 accomplishments all year long. You can see the Apollo 50 Exhibit: When we went to the Moon until the end of December. Plus, make sure you grab dinner under the Saturn V Rocket each Thursday night with Biergarten.
- Burritt on the Mountain – It’s a living history museum where you can grab a cocktail at the view or get your hands on history each weekend with their programs. Don’t miss out on the Folklife Festival happening November 2.
- Alabama Constitution Hall Park is open to the public, you can take tours and every Thursday in October, they have a live concert.
- Lowe Mill ARTS & Entertainment will have their last Concert on the Dock this Friday and will offer history tours happening each Saturday.
All these events and more are happening this month!
Don’t forget to follow along at #Historyhsv