The water spilled forth from the Big Spring, and John Hunt saw it and said that it was good. But that was in the early 1800’s.
If there were actually commandments brought down from Monte Sano mountain, and in the year 2017 AD….. what would they say?
Here’s what we think!
1. Thou shalt respect the overpass.
Seriously, you have to make peace with the overpass to navigate Huntsville, especially now that we are gaining a few new ones!
2. Thou shalt embrace acronyms.
It’s okay if we don’t know what they are….that’s why we have Google.
3. Thou shalt understand that most of the time the “thunder” is coming from Redstone Arsenal.
Unexpected booms that rattle your windows and scare your dogs are kinda common. No, we aren’t under attack. Just something happening on the local military base. NBD!!!
4. Thou shalt drink locally brewed beer.
Why would you drink any other beer. We’ve got you covered with all that is brewed right here within our city borders.
5. Thou shalt mill about Lowe Mill A&E.
With over 200 artists making unique and interesting things at Lowe Mill, you have no excuse not to visit in 2017.
6. Thou shalt bike, hike or run.
We do love our greenway and trails. And how lucky we are to have them.
7. Thou shalt pre-select your tornado safe place.
Do you know where your safe place is? Figure it out because when you hear the tornado sirens and the sky looks a little green (that’s bad!!), you need to make sure you’re in it.
8. Thou shalt wear sunglasses when driving west on I-565 at sunset.
Because the sun will BLIND YOU!
9. Thou shalt know thy rockets.
We do have a spaceline after all.
11. Thou shalt understand that one road can have three names depending on which part you are driving on.
We’re looking at you Andrew Jackson/California/Whitesburg.
BONUS: Whether a road has suddenly been turned from a one-way into a two-way (looking at you Clinton).
12. Thou shalt go to concerts on docks, mountaintops, beneath space shuttles, in front of caves and in the park.
We have the coolest live venues. And since many of these concerts are free, there’s no excuse not to go.
13. Thou shalt eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner from a truck.
We have such cool food trucks. Plan to try them all in 2017!
14. Thou shalt know some Huntsville history.
Who were Carl T. Jones, James Record, or John Zierdt? Not as popular as Werner Von Braun, but interesting to know.
15. Thou shalt embrace change.
If there’s anything we’ve learned in Huntsville, it’s to accept change. When we are pioneering new technologies, change is inevitable.
16. Thou shalt enjoy the arts.
If the Rocket City is our other name, Arts should be the middle name. Make a point to enjoy all Huntsville has to offer in the arts for 2017.
17. Thou shalt not diss Huntsville.
Sometimes it seems like griping about Huntsville is our favorite past time. While there might very well be a need for change, accepting the challenge is what we do. Then we do #15, followed by #4.