If you’re like many folks these days, you’d rather spend your money on experiences, not things.
Maybe you’d prefer to try out a new restaurant, or visit a new city than to buy a designer T-shirt or trendy (and pricey) accessories.
Or maybe you like to roll up your sleeves, pull out the power tools, and tackle a DIY project.
If this sounds like you, and you haven’t already, the thrift stores of greater Huntsville await!
Here are a few of my favorites and some suggestions on how to make the most of your visits:
In a recent trip to “Thrift World”, I picked up 5 dresses for less than $20! One was a fully lined, linen dress!
This store is great not only because of their deep discounts on Monday (.99 by the color of the tag) but also because of sheer size and variety of items.
2. The Saving Way
Another of my favorites in The Saving Way, with locations throughout the Valley. The one I frequent is also on University Drive.
I like this shop because of the odds and ends section. They have many kitchen items as well as picture frames and baskets. A lot of good materials if you are into crafting or upcycling things.
For instance, for a recent party, I bought 20 miscellaneous vases and containers, all different but similarly sized, to use for floral centerpieces at a party. Altogether, I spent less than $15.
3. The Restore
Looking for a DIY project? The Restore is a great place to get used, gently used, and sometimes new building materials, furniture, and even appliances.
- Items are donated. All the time. Unlike a department store that gets new things for the “season,” these stores get new things all the time. What does that mean? It means you’ve got to go there, a lot! Become a regular and you will be sure to catch some good finds.
- Proceeds go a good cause. Many of the local shops’ money goes towards a charitable mission. You can feel better about where your money is going.
- Wash it before you wear it. Part of the fun of getting new clothes at a thrift store is that the items have a life of their own, a story to tell. You don’t know where the clothes have been, and that may be part of the fun, but wash it before you wear it. That very cool Teambuilding 1992 T-shirt may still have some fun(kiness) on it.
- Go to many shops! Don’t limit yourself; Huntsville has many good shops to check out. It’s a fun way to spend an afternoon.
- Donate your own old stuff! Surely you’ve got some clothes that you’re “over,” so why not share them someone else.
- Maybe you’ll find a treasure! Some kids in Florida stumbled across a bit of (quite valuable) history. Listen here: Students Find Spacesuits In Thrift Store