I’ve Built It…Please Come!
For some time, I’ve longed to create a large-scale, community-minded yoga event in The Rocket City. When Healthy Huntsville 2013 was rolled out, I took a giant yogic breath, leapt off the proverbial ledge, and grew wings of courage and faith on the way down.
I emailed an all-star list of area yoga and meditation teachers and invited them to join me for a brand-new, first-of-its-kind event. Fast forward to today and this team of yoga and meditation rock stars has put together a phenomenal calendar of free yoga & meditation events across Huntsville & Madison.
- 36 Classes
- 12 Yoga & Meditation Teachers
- 5 Yoga Studios
- 7 Area Businesses & Parks
- 3 Fitness Centers
- 2 Restaurants
- 1 Amazing Huntsville Jazz Singer
- 1 Very Hardworking U Of Alabama Junior Spending Her Summer As My Intern! (Thank You, Delona – I’d Be Lost Without You Right Now!)
With all of these classes and yoga options, I figured you might need some guidance in choosing which classes are for you. So here is your guide to Rocket City Yoga Week’s classes.
Beginners welcome in all classes and here are classes dedicated to you!
- Monday, June 17th at 11:30am: Jennifer at SportsMed
- Tuesday, June 18th at 6pm: Holley at A.M. Booth’s Lumberyard
- Thursday, June 20th at 9am: Holley at Burritt On The Mountain
Here Comes The Sun
Morning folks these classes are for you:
- June 17th- 21st at 9:00am: Kerry teaches at North Alabama Yoga Company
- Tuesday, June 18th at 6:30am: Adrienne teaches at Crossfit Impulse in Madison
- Wednesday, June 19th at 9:30am: Bikram Yoga Of Madison
- Thursday, June 20th at 9:00am: Holley teaches at Burritt On The Mountain
If your weekdays are packed, don’t worry! Saturday includes 4 great options:
- 8:30am: Join Me at Big Spring Park
- 9:00am: Annette teaches at The Yoga Center in Five Points
- 9:00am: Kerry will be at Providence Park
- 10:00am: Bikram Yoga Of Madison
Midday classes available Monday through Friday!
- Monday, June 17th and Wednesday, June 19th at 11:30am: Jennifer teaches at SportsMed
- Tuesday, June 18th, Wednesday, June 19th & Thursday, June 20th: Leah & Tasha will be at Redstone Arsenal’s Sparkman Center
Late afternoon & evening classes available during the entire week!
Some Like It Hot!
If you’ve ever wanted to try hot yoga (AKA Bikram Yoga) you’re in luck!
- Bikram Yoga Of Madison – classes available Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday!
Need to de-stress? Looking for some ways to give back to your body? Try these classes:
- Monday, June 17th at 7pm: Restorative Yoga with Leah at Yoga Hōm
- Monday, June 17th at 6:30pm: Meditation For Beginners with Suzanne at Huntsville Hospital
- Thursday, June 20th at 11am: Peaceful Sounds Meditation with Deb Paradise & The Soothing Voice Of Ingrid Marie at Big Springs Park
If you like “out of the box”, then you’ll love these classes. We’ve combined yoga with some unexpected fun.
- Nooners & Nibbles: Lunchtime yoga followed by a free take-out lunch catered by Taziki’s Mediterranean Café on Wednesday June 19th at 12pm
- Yoga & Chocolate Tasting: This class is a sweet way to get over Hump Day! Join us Wednesday June 19th at 7pm. Created in partnership with Pizzelle’s Confections. Note: this event will include a nominal fee for the chocolate tasting
- Yoga For Tweens & Teens: Join me (and my teen offspring) at tumbling & competitive cheer gym, Cheer Core Academy, on Thursday June 20th at 11am. (Sorry, Moms & Dads, This Is A Parent-Free Zone! You Can Join Us At Another Class!)
To close out the week, we will hold a giant yoga class under the Saturn V Rocket!
- Date: Sunday, June 23rd
- Time: 2:00pm
- Location: The Davidson Center at The U.S. Space and Rocket Center
- Yoga mats are not provided
- Yoga events are free
- Some events require you to RSVP due to space limitations
- All classes recommended For Ages +12
- Dress comfortably
- There will be no rain date for outdoor events affected by inclement weather
- For complete schedule, including location details, visit the Rocket City Yoga Website
“Blessed Are The Flexible…For They Shall Never Be Bent Out Of Shape.” ~Unknown