“Thursday is Market Day” at the Greene Street Market in Downtown Huntsville. The Greene Street Market is a producer-only market, with all farmers and artisans located within a 70-mile radius. The Market offers gorgeous cut flowers, artisan cheeses, pasture-raised meat, homemade soaps, delicious prepared foods, and fresh produce.
On the Market’s opening night, I noticed a young market-goer–obviously enjoying his homemade strawberry popsicle from Pop Culture and happily dancing to the live tunes of local blues musician Microwave Dave. The little locavore’s mom was just a few feet away, talking to a local grower about their plants.
I asked Sarah, a market regular, what draws her to Greene Street each week. “I shop at GSM to support local farmers and feed my family fresh local food. Our favorite vendor is Humble Heart because the goat cheese is phenomenal. I also enjoy the opportunity to see neighbors and friends. My 3-year-old LOVES the live music, and it is so nice he is entertained while I shop.” – Sarah Bailey
Shopping at the Greene Street Market creates a sense of community between farmers, artisans, and consumers. Market shoppers are able to ask farmers pertinent questions about the food they’ve grown. Likewise, farmers get immediate feedback from consumers about what they hope to find at the market.
Why Shop Greene Street?
- It benefits the local economy. Shopping at Greene Street Market creates jobs for farmers in our community and keeps food dollars circulating in the local economy.
- It is better for the environment. Shopping at GSM greatly reduces the distance your food travels from “farm to table”, consequently reducing the amount of fuel used in transport.
- It is better for you. Shopping at GSM ensures that your food is at the height of its nutritional value, as the number of nutrients lost during transport is greatly reduced.
- It gives back to the community. Shopping at GSM supports The Outreach Committee of the Church of the Nativity. All Market proceeds go to the Outreach program, which works to alleviate hunger right here in Huntsville.
- It is fun! Shopping at GSM feels less like “grocery shopping” and more like a block party. Live music, cooking demonstrations, and not a fluorescent lightbulb in sight!
Greene Street Market Vendors
There are dozens of vendors at Greene Street Market! You can find a complete listing of market vendors on the Greene Street site.
The Greene Street Market is the place to be on Thursday evenings! Come on down to the corner of Eustis and Greene. Stop by on your way home from work or bring the kids after school.
Don’t forget to bring cash and a basket to carry your awesome finds! We’ll see you there! [spacer size="0"]
2013 Greene Street Market Details:
Dates: Every Thursday, May to October
Time: 4 pm to 8 pm/Children’s Corner 4 pm to 6 pm
Location: Corner of Greene and Eustis Streets (One block East of the Square in Downtown Huntsville) Map here.
Parking: Free. Park on the street, or in the lot just North of the Market.
Weather Policy: Open if raining, closes for thunder and lightening
Payment: Varies by vendor. All accept cash, some accept debit cards. The Market is also equipped to process Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program EBT cards.